Proving Gig Speed

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon Jul 16 21:19:13 UTC 2018

Thanks, Jason.

While I might have idle curiosity of how well my link performs when I
first get it, beyond that the only time I care is when I or somebody
else in the house starts screaming "THE INTERTOOBZ R SLOWZ!@!".

I just had this happen to me the other night as I trying to watch
possibly the worst movie ever on Amazon Prime. Maybe because I've been
around a long time, my first suspicion is that something at home was
slagging the ISP hop. This is often the case, but it is *maddeningly*
slow to diagnose -- my popcorn was getting stale. Naively, I may have
thought to hook up to one of the speed testers, but it would only show
what was obvious from ping times, etc: lots of drops.

So where was the problem? I had to manually go around and start
disconnecting things. Even after I thought I had found the perp several
times, my popcorn's freshness suffered. And in the end, I never did
triangulate out where the problem was... and by morning it had magically
fixed itself. My popcorn, on the other hand, gave its all.

As we get more and more stuff on our home networks, the probability for
crappy software, infected devices, piggy updates, etc multiplies. I'm
sure this isn't news to $CORPRO network managers, but at home we quite
literally have nothing to help us figure out and remedy these kinds of
problems. Or if it turns out to *not* be our problem, that we have some
reassurance when we decide to call the support desk and be put through
IVR maze hell only to find out it was a local problem after all.

cheers, Mike