Proving Gig Speed

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jul 16 18:08:08 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 01:02:28PM -0500, Dan White wrote:
> We've found that running windows in safe mode produces better results with
> Ookla. And MACs usually do better as well. We've gotten >900mb/s with those
> two approaches.

	I've seen engineers even forget to account for differing behaviors
of vendors, eg: Juniper doesn't display the layer-2 header counters

	This means a 920Mb/s link may actually be 100% once you add back in
ethernet framing.  Remind folks that they are seeing the TCP/UDP throughput
and there is ethernet + IP headers involved.

	- Jared