Linux BNG

Ahad Aboss ahad at swiftelnetworks.com
Sun Jul 15 15:31:07 UTC 2018

Hi Baldur,

Based on the information you provided, CPE connects to the POI via
different service provider (access network provider / middle man) before it
reaches your network/POP.

With this construct, you are typically responsible for IP allocation and
session authentication via DHCP (option 82) with AAA or via Radius for
PPPoE.  You may also have to deal with the S-TAG and C-TAG  at BNG level.
Here are some options to consider;

*Option 1.*

Use Radius for session authentication and IP/DNS allocation to CPE. You can
configure BBA-GROUP on the BNG to overcome the 409x vlan limitation as well
as the S-TAG and C-TAG. BBA-GROUP can handle multiple session. BBA-GROUP is
also a well-supported feature.

Here is an example of the config for your BNG (Cisco router)  ;

*bba-group pppoe NAME -1*

 virtual-template 1

 sessions per-mac limit 2

!

*bba-group pppoe NAME -2*

 virtual-template 2

 sessions per-mac limit 2

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/3.100

* encapsulation dot1Q 100 second-dot1q 500-4094*

 no ip redirects

 no ip unreachables

 no ip proxy-arp

 ip flow ingress

 ip flow egress

 ip multicast boundary 30

 *pppoe enable group NAME -1*

 no cdp enable

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/3.200

 encapsulation dot1Q 200 second-dot1q 200-300

 no ip redirects

 no ip unreachables

 no ip proxy-arp

 ip flow ingress

 ip flow egress

 ip multicast boundary 30

 *pppoe enable group NAME -2*

 no cdp enable

Configure Virtual templates too.

*Option 2.*

You can deploy a DHCP server using DHCP option 82 to handle all IP or IPoE
sessions.

DHCP option 82 provides you with additional flexibility that can scale as
your customer base grows. You can perform authentication using a
combination of CircuitID, RemoteID or CPE MAC-ADD etc.

I hope this information helps.

Cheers,

Ahad

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 10:13 PM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com