(perhaps off topic, but) Microwave Towers

Andy Ringsmuth andy at newslink.com
Sat Jul 14 15:10:40 UTC 2018

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I find myself driving down Route 66.  On our way through Arizona, I was surprised by what look like a lot of old-style microwave links.  They pretty much follow the East-West rail line - where I'd expect there's a lot of fiber buried.
>
> Struck me as somewhat interesting.
>
> It also struck me that folks here might have some comments.
>
> Miles Fidelman

I’m not 100 percent positive, but from what I recall in my time down that way as a contractor for $major_railroad, I believe they are or were used by the railroad for their communication links. They may not necessarily be in service any longer though. Probably one of those instances where “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” In other words, if the tower isn’t falling down or a hazard, why spend the money to go remove it?

I know as recently as 2003, BNSF Railway was still using and upgrading microwave infrastructure in Chicago.

http://reference.newslink.com/current-pubs/CHIC/CHIC0304.pdf   (see page 2)

----
Andy Ringsmuth
andy at newslink.com
News Link – Manager Technology, Travel & Facilities
2201 Winthrop Rd., Lincoln, NE 68502-4158
(402) 475-6397    (402) 304-0083 cellular