improving signal to noise ratio from centralized network syslogs

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Fri Jan 26 04:10:02 UTC 2018

Hey All,

Centralized logging is a good thing. However, what happens is that every
repetitive, annoying but not (usually) important thing fills up the log
with reams of what you are not looking for.

Networks are a noisy place and silencing every logged condition is
impractical and sometimes undesirable.

What I am interested in is an automated zoom-in zoom-out tool to mask
the repetition of "normal" events and allow the unusual to stand out.

Add to that an ability to identify gaps in the background noise. (The
dog that didnt bark)

What I am not interested in are solutions based upon preconfigured
filters and definitions and built in analysis for supported
(prepopulated definitions) platforms, this is all about pattern
mining/masking and should be self discoverable. Ideally a command tool
to generate static versions of the analysis coupled with a web platform
(with zoom +- buttons)  for realtime.

I made a crude run of it with SLCT, using its generated patterns to grep
-v, and that in and of itself was useful, but needs a bit of work. Also,
its not quite real time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Joe