BGP Community Support WAS: Re: Cogent vs. HE ; -) WAS: Anyone using Cogent Ethernet

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Tue Jan 23 21:15:35 UTC 2018

BGP communities I use the most:
- Influence the transit provider BGP local-preference:  customer preferred, customer backup, peer, and transit LP values
- Only advertise routes to the transit provider customers and not their peers
- Don't advertise routes to transit providers' peer ASx.
- AS-prepend  X times to transit providers' peer ASx.

I've had a couple of situations where a CDN provider is sending all their traffic via one transit provider.  A BGP community to not advertise or as-prepend our routes to that CDN provider would have been handy.  Most transit providers only allow you to not advertise or as-prepend to their peers and not other customers.