Open Souce Network Operating Systems

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 17:32:57 UTC 2018

Eron,

Thanks for the advice.

My understanding if Free Range Routing is a package of software that runs
in linux, but not a full and true NOS right?

Is pfSense 3.0 going to be dramatically different that the current version?
I never considered this a NOS but more of a firewall platform with some
routing capabilities.

I looked into Cumulus Linux, but it seems to only run on the supported
hardware which is while box switches. Can you run Cumulus Linux on a X86
server with intel NICs? Can you run Cumulus on a raspberry pi?

Ideally I think I am looking to a Linux operating system that can run on
multiple CPU architectures, has device support for Broadcom and other
Merchant silicon switching and wifi adapters.