Open Souce Network Operating Systems

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Wed Jan 17 23:48:47 UTC 2018

On Wed 2018-Jan-17 23:11:14 +0000, Matthew Smee <matthew.smee at sydney.edu.au> wrote:

>Yeah, it'd be silly for organisations to try and standardise their environments for services or infrastructure.

I'm somewhat in two minds there.  Options to tackle operational
complexity/expense:

Option 1: Require a homogeneous environment or minimize vendors/platforms
as much as possible.

Option 2: Accept vendor/platform diversity as inevitable and build
systems/abstractions around that.

Is #1 achievable?  If you're expending time/effort/resources achieving #1
and fall short, don't you have to do #2 anyway?

Much has also been said on monocultures in infrastructure: having a single
bug impact all of your gear sucks.  If I can manage a pair of border
routers, for instance, from two different vendors in an
abstracted/consistent enough manner that I don't deal with their
idiosyncrasies on a daily basis, am I not better off than running a single
platform / code train in that function?

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal