Blockchain and Networking

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jan 11 20:28:19 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>
wrote:

> Transferring log files, used as forensic evidence, comes to mind.

Blockchain is no better at transferring log files than regular PKI.

Blockchain could be used to authenticate that forensic evidence presented
later is the same evidence that was originally logged by the individual who
collected it where the agency responsible for custody of the evidence is
not trusted or where there have been claims evidence tampering. Interesting
law enforcement application. Dubious utility in networking where the
networking staff are a trusted authority.

Any kind of paperwork, tables, etc. associated with network configuration -
> particularly if you're trying to preserve changes.

AFAICT, blockchain is no better at this than regular PKI and regular PKI is
much less expensive to operate.

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:46 PM, Dale W. Carder <dwcarder at es.net> wrote:

> Traceroute or any other path diagnostics comes to mind.

That's not obvious to me. Assuming the time-exceeded message was modified
to include the necessary data, how would blockchain authenticate the
responding router?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us