Comparison of freeware open source switch software?

Andrey Khomyakov khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 02:46:32 UTC 2018

My understanding is the same as Ricky's. At least in the Broadcom word, you
have to license the SDK from Broadcom in order to develop against it and,
more importantly, have documentation of which register does what. I don't
know if you need to license it to program the ASIC (assuming you can do it
without SDK in a sensible fashion).

My understanding was that when you buy software such as Cumulus Linux, what
you are actually paying for is the Broadcom license. You can actually go
and download Cumulus Linux and it's all open source except, you guessed it,
switchd, which is what takes the info from the linux kernel and programs it
into the hardware.

My understanding was that the rest the "open source" OSs operate the same
way.

Please, correct me if it is at all possible to buy a whitebox switch and
then load a "no cost OS" on it and it starts switching packets through
hardware.

-Andrey

--Andrey