Comparison of freeware open source switch software?

7riw77 at gmail.com 7riw77 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 16:18:53 UTC 2018

> > If you're only interested in stuff that goes on iron, openvswitch is
> > out - it's pure software meant to run on hypervisors
>
> Not necessarily true anymore.  Look for SwitchDev, which is incorporated into
> the Linux kernel , is undergoing continuous improvement, and allows the kernel
> to offload forwarding rules to the hardware.

The overall architecture of openswitch, however, seems (to me) to be focused on software implementations, rather than hardware.

You probably want to look at SONiC as well, as this is what LinkedIn is using; there are a lot of improvements currently going into code. For FR Routing, the performance is changing rapidly, as there are a lot of commits going in just about every week, and the community is quite active.

:-) /r

http://rule11.tech