Blockchain and Networking

Brian Kantor Brian at ampr.org
Tue Jan 9 16:04:24 UTC 2018

It seems to me that at the current moment in the evolution of bitcoin, the
only way to make money from it is to sell the equipment to mine coins, as
the chances of ever making any money from mining coins yourself are
vanishingly small.  And then only if you get your electricity and cooling
for free.

It has been estimated that the amount of electricity being consumed worldwide
in the attempt to mine bitcoins exceeds the consumption of several smaller
European countries.  Since little of this power is generated from renewable
sources, it could represent a significant consumption of fossil fuels.
	- Brian