Spectre/Meltdown impact on network devices

Denys Fedoryshchenko denys at visp.net.lb
Mon Jan 8 00:14:25 UTC 2018

AFAIK, Meltdown/Spectre require access to some proper programming
language and ability to run attacker own code.
If underprivileged user can't spawn shell on device or run some python
code - i guess you are safe.

I guess people need to push support of vendors, for equipment who has
programming languages/shell, to release statement about possibility of
vulnerability.
As fixing require significant changes in "memory" operation model, i
doubt they will do such thing, i guess in best case they will restrict
access to insert
code under nonprivileged users (if it is allowed now).
For example, even old Cisco IOS has TCL, but logically under level 15,
so i assume it is safe.