Attacks from poneytelecom.eu

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Jan 5 19:20:09 UTC 2018

It's classic Max Weber's formal description of bureaucracy, in the
good sense, ca 1900-1920 as an administrative/management structure.

You try to set up the local office (call it first-tier) so they can
answer about 90% of all questions. The other 10% are kicked up to the
regional (call it 2nd tier) who one hopes can answer 90% of those
questions, and so on.

Or as I used to say as an academic: If you (students) have any
questions about majoring etc please don't hesitate to ask me. If I
don't know the answer we can go to the dept head and ask again. If the
dept head doesn't know the answer we can all go to the dean who, if
s/he does not know the answer, will no doubt make one up on the spot!

--
        -Barry Shein