IPv4 smaller than /24 leasing?

Michael Hallgren mh at xalto.net
Thu Jan 4 22:07:08 UTC 2018

Le 2018-01-04 20:16, Job Snijders a écrit :
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 at 20:13, Filip Hruska <fhr at fhrnet.eu> wrote:
>
>> I have stumbled upon this site [1] which seems to offer /27 IPv4
>> leasing.
>> They also claim "All of our IPv4 address space can be used on any
>> network
>> in any location."
>>
>> I thought that the smallest prefix size one could get routed globally
>> is
>> /24?
>

> Yes
>
> So how does this work?
>>
> Probably with GRE, IPIP or OpenVPN tunnels.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Job

IPv4 /24 is commonly the minimal chunk advertised to (and accepted by)
neighbors. If I run a global (or regional) network, I may advertise this
/24 -- or rather an aggregate covering it -- over my diverse
interconnection with neighbors, your /27 being part of the chunk and
routed to you internally (if you're va customer)-- no need for
encapsulation efforts. Similar scenario may be multi-upstream, subject
to acceptance of "punching holes in aggregates"... Am I missing
something? What's the trigger for doing tunneling here?

Happy New Year '18, by the way !

mh