AS Numbers unused/sitting for long periods of time

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 3 16:44:06 UTC 2018

Steve’s situation was relatively unique and arduous. It was also resolved
several years ago.

Yes, if you have difficulty authenticating as a legitimate administrator of
the resource, it can be difficult to convince ARIN you should be updating
the contact data on said resource. Hopefully everyone here can see how that
is a desirable thing. I’m quite glad that ARIN makes it difficult for people
who aren’t me to update my resource records.

As to the issue raised regarding unused ASNs, there are several possibilities
not yet considered IMHO:

	1.	There were private networks built before private ASNs existed.
	2.	There were private networks built that needed ASN coordination
		and include more ASNs than there were private 16-bit ASNs.
	3.	While private ASNs may be a solution for some private networks,
		there are other cases where they may not be well suited. Such
		cases can legitimately use public ASNs.
	4.	NO single view, nor even any collection of views available to
		any one entity can be considered a complete routing table for
		the entire internet.

Are there ASNs that were issued prior to the creation of ARIN that may languish?
Yes. Probably a few thousand.

All ASNs issued since the creation of ARIN come with an annual fee being paid to
ARIN which means that the ASN isn’t languishing unless someone is paying the fee
for the ASN and/or related resources each year. So in the case of companies that
no longer exist, if you report your suspicions to ARIN, they’ll investigate and
reclaim the ASNs if they can be certain that the organizations are no longer
valid. In the case of ASNs issued in the last 20 years, that’s as easy as checking
that the invoice got paid by someone. ASNs issued prior to 1997 are a much harder
problem to solve.

Personally, I don’t think there’s enough value to the community in a few thousand
ASNs to make it worth the cost involved in ARIN going out and reclaiming them
aggressively. A few years ago, we added 4,294,901,760 ASNs to the original pool
of 65,536 ASNs. (This includes both public and private in both cases). None of
those 4 billion new ASNs will languish as they are all issued under an annual fee.

As such, I see little or no value in trying to reclaim the few thousand ASNs that
might be subject to such a policy.

Owen