Xbox Live and Teredo

Joe Klein jsklein at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 00:12:54 UTC 2018

Are you aware:

- Microsofts justification for Teredo is to support P2P during the
transition to IPv6 dominant networks.

- Xbox 360: Console
  - IPv4 preferred and requires the Microsoft 'custom STUN and security
implementation."

- Xbox One: Console
  - IPv6 preferred - Native IPv6+IPSec
     - Requires unsolicited inbound IPSec and IKEv2
     - "Disables firewall capabilities if one exists" - UPNP+...

- IPv4 preferred or no IPv6 = [IPv6+IPSec]+Teredo
     - Teredo is only necessary for Xbox Live party chat and multiplayer

      - Within the tunnel, it requires unsolicited inbound IPSec and IKEv2
     - UDP long port mapping refresh intervals (60 seconds+) to avoid
losing connections to xbox peers
     - Uses UPNP to "Disables firewall capabilities if one exists"
     - If NAT exists, here is the most successful strategy, left to right:
       -  Open to the Internet > Address Restricted > Port Restricted >
Symmetric > UDP Block
    - Teredo prefers UDP port 3074 vs. UDP port 3544

- XBOX - Windows 10
   - Teredo is only necessary for Xbox Live party chat and multiplayer
   - Most common error: “Teredo is unable to qualify”

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-party-chat
  - If a third party firewall is installed, good chance it is blocking
teredo outbound ports or the Windows10 teredo is disabled.

Hope this helps... And don't ask about the security --- It's "good enough
for home users" :(

Joe Klein

"inveniet viam, aut faciet" --- Seneca's Hercules Furens (Act II, Scene 1)
PGP Fingerprint: 295E 2691 F377 C87D 2841 00C1 4174 FEDF 8ECF 0CC8