cgnat - how do you handle customer issues

Lee Howard lee at asgard.org
Tue Feb 27 22:42:50 UTC 2018

On 02/27/2018 12:52 PM, Aaron Gould wrote:
> Thanks
>

> For #2 – what if the ports allocated aren’t enough for the amount of inet traffic the customer site uses ?  …is the customer denied service based on insufficient port range ?  …or are they assigned another block within that some ip’s range of I think it’s 0-64k or 1025-64k… but how far can you take that before there aren’t anymore port blocks left on that single ip ?  …and if you have to allocate that customer another port block from a *different* ip, then we are in the situation of the bank website not liking the fact that the session is bouncing to a different ip maybe ?

Yes, common problem, and the session just fails (TCY SYN dropped)
because of insufficient ports.
Most CGNs allow you to configure a range of ports for a customer, and
reserve an additional range if they need more ports. Yes, if you
allocate 1000 ports for one IPv4 address to each of 50 customers and
they all need hundreds more ports than that, you're going to run out of
ports and connections fail.

This is why you have IPv6. Even while many web sites and apps don't
support IPv4, enough do that it relieves some pressure on your CGN.

Lee