Console Servers & Cellular Providers

Brian Loveland brian at bloveland.com
Tue Feb 13 04:21:09 UTC 2018

We have >100 AT&T units deployed and about 35 Verizon units and have had
virtually no issues with call home via openvpn.  All opengear ACM7xxx
series.

We are using machine to machine plans from marketplace.att.com. Used to be
a great deal, the new plans are still “fair” and better than standard
consumer/business prepaid plans. We average around 100MB/mo/device, we
could probably improve that with some effort on keepalives etc.

We have had coverage issues in some sites but in the colos we are in it has
been fine.
In colo we usually also take “house” IP due to XC costs blowing out any 3rd
parties, and I have done DSL on PSTN XC before, but even in those cases the
LTE is still useful particularly for turn up where the colo house ip rarely
“just works”.