40G reforming

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:03:33 UTC 2018

I may need to clarify that I do not want to break the port into 4x10G as
such. To the switch this will be an ordinary 40G link to another switch far
away.

I want to take advantage of the fact that 40G is transported as four
individual streams. Each of the four streams are to be converted from 850
nm to a 1550 DWDM channel (one channel per stream). And the reverse at the
other end of the link.

The point of doing this is that 40G DWDM modules are not generally
available and neither are 80 km modules.

I need a true 40G channel so 4x10G LACP is not an option here. For the same
reason I am unable to accept a solution that splits the 40G port into 4x10G
and then perhaps recombines using LACP. Instead I am looking at an optical
solution that is invisible to the switch hardware.

The only doubt I have about the proposed solution is whether the frame
format of the 10G substreams is somehow incompatible with what goes on in
the reformer. As I understand these reformers they are little more than two
SFP(+) modules connected back to back. And therefore it should not matter
that the frame format may be different.

Regards

Baldur