CenturyLink RCA?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Dec 31 21:30:53 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 12:31 PM Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:
> > It could have been worse:
> >   https://www.cio.com.au/article/65115/all_systems_down/
>
> "Make network changes only between 2am and 5am on weekends."
>
> Wow.  Just wow.  I suppose the IT types are considerably different
> than Process Operations.  Our rule is to only make changes
> scheduled at 09:00 (or no later than will permit a complete backout
> and restore by 15:00) Local Time on "Full Staff" day that is not
> immediately preceded or followed by a reduced staff day,
> holiday, or weekend-day.

It depends on your system architecture. If you've built your
redundancy well so that you have a continuously maintainable system
then you do the work during normal staffing and only when followed by
days when folks will be around to notice and fix any mistakes.

If you require a disruptive maintenance window then you schedule it
for minimum usage times instead.

Other conclusions from the article are dubious as well:

* Retire legacy network gear faster and create overall life cycle
management for networking gear.

Retire equipment when it ceases to be cost-effective, not merely
because it was manufactured too many years ago. Just don't forget to
factor risk in to the cost.

* Document all changes, including keeping up-to-date physical and
logical network diagrams.

"Good intentions never work, you need good mechanisms to make anything
happen." - Jeff Bezos

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us