CenturyLink

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Dec 31 08:28:25 UTC 2018

Hey Gary,

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 at 05:02, Gary E. Miller <gem at rellim.com> wrote:

> The Rb frequency reference will be two or three orders of magnitude
> more stable than an expensive ovenized crystal.

Perhaps, but not supported by this:
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/specs/gpsopt.htm

For the tl;dr folk, crystal drifts +-4.5us per day, Rb +-1.1us (both
seem like unsatisfactorily high numbers to me, i.e. you don't want to
be free-running 24h with Rb). Luckily today we have GPS, Glonass,
BeiDou, Galileo and couple smaller ones, so there should be somewhat
reasonable amount of redundancy. Unsure which commercially available
NTP or PPP master clocks support all four.

But I of course readily accept Rb is objectively more accurate than
crystal, I'm just curious where it matters and I'm curious which
regulation applies, who fall under the regulation and what
specifically does the regulation require about free-running accuracy.

--
  ++ytti