Cellular backup connections

Jared Geiger jared at compuwizz.net
Fri Dec 28 18:32:17 UTC 2018

I found horrible routing with a static IP setup with T-Mobile. The device
was located in Ashburn, outbound routing would go out via Dallas and
inbound would come in via Seattle. So ping times and usability was rough.
Tried it on the west coast and the same problem. T-Mobile support said this
was by design and they couldn’t change it.

I decided to switch to a regular consumer AT&T data sim without a static IP
and set up a small router to initiate a VPN tunnel out to wherever I need
it. It turns out to be cheaper and reliable for us.

~Jared Geiger