Cellular backup connections

Brian R briansupport at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 16:42:03 UTC 2018

Check the route your taking when you use the cell phone as a hotspot and when you use the LTE modem.  The carrier may be using different paths.

You may want to engage the vendor of your modem as well to make sure everything in it is configured correctly.  Depending on the device there are a lot of tricky things that can be done with them.

I only have experience with Cradlepoints and have used AT&T and Verizon.  I know VZW used to route their "business grade" modems differently than their cell phones and consumer hotspots.  I've been told VZW fixed the issue of having to put different tower configurations into the Cradlepoints (I believe the last time I set one up they were able to provision it without me configuring anything).

High pings and high latency (compared to dedicated connections) have always been normal from my experience but with a decent signal it should still be better than a traditional DSL connection for example.

Brian