Cellular backup connections

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Dec 28 12:19:46 UTC 2018

I’ve found the antenna choice and placement can make a huge difference in a data center environment.  In some cases it required going to a directional high gain antenna pointed towards a desirable tower, which we found by having someone monitor / reload the Opengear web interface while another person moved the antenna around, to figure out where the best signal strength was produced.

Ours are all Verizon units, but in data centers near some VZ towers, the little omnidirectional paddle antennas that come with the Opengear boxes have been sufficient, even if the unit is mounted in a rack.  Even with ping times being in the 150-300ms range, normally SSH isn’t too bad, but it’s certainly not snappy.  I’d say it’s not quite as bad as trying to use SSH via Wifi on a Southwest flight, but not as good as a serial console connection.