Stupid Question maybe?

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:19:27 UTC 2018

On 12/19/18 2:47 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> So at one show, the Interop show network went to a 255.255.252.0 netmask, and
> of course a lot of vendors had issues and complained.  The stock response was
> "Quit whining, or next show it's going to be 255.255.250.0".

Ha, I remember!

Let us not forget Interop 91, where one vendor accidentally sent all its
packets with an IP version field of 0.  Nearly every router was shown to
never check the IP version number!

Moreover, it turned out later that major printer vendors weren't checking
either....  No good way to update them in the field, ever.

That was a serious worry as we designed PIPE/SIP/SIPP/IPv6, and the main
reason that we had to get new link layer protocol numbers.

Then there were the fine vendors that conflated the link and IP headers.
That fell apart when IEEE started assigning OUIs that began with 0x4xxxxxxx.

Interop really used to be a blessing, before it became just another show.