JunOS Fusion Provider Edge

Vincentz Petzholtz vp at syseleven.de
Mon Dec 17 19:35:04 UTC 2018

Hi there,

About Juniper Fusion PE and our experience with it.

> For example, you can't get SNMP oids for light levels or even read them right from the CLI.
Sure it’s possible but also with a big „meh“. Here is how:
"show interfaces diagnostics optics satellite <interface>“ (<- on the MX)
BUT at least with MX Junos 16.1R7 and aligned SAT Image aka SNOS these values are wrong
by a pretty big offset. Juniper promised they already fixed it but we can’t confirm (at least not in MX Junos 16.1).
Soon we will take a look at MX Junos 17.3 with aligned sat image.

>  I've also heard you can have them do local L2 forwarding, which can be nice for latency and conserving uplink bandwidth, but we don't do any L2 that way so I wouldn't know the implications
Same thing here … we don’t really need it. At least it’s on the roadmap and/or already implemented with higher Junos/SNOS versions.

> From what we can tell though, it does give you Trio L3 performance and features with a MUCH cheaper port cost which is exactly what we were looking for, the extended reach of the chassis was just a fantastic bonus.
Yep, that is really amazing and the reason we use it on many MXes. You can get rid of almost all ports you want (restrictions apply tho).

> We also REALLY like that we can have one pair of MX dists for a whole data center with hundreds of thousands of square feet of raised floor and deploy QFX5100 or EX4300 switches in every pod and haul back over just a few pairs of fiber. Saves a lot of time because all that's required to turn up a new connection is a cross connect in the pod. It also allows us to offer copper ports very far away from the MX device, which would normally require media converters.
We use Junos PE NOT as a replacement for any switch and/or ip fabrics within a datacenter. We use it to get rid of many customer/client ports (mainly 1G and 10G ports)
which were directly connected to our MXes before. Atm I would not recommend using any closed fabrics beyond that scope. If it works for you … ok.

> We've wanted to experiment with doing this over dark fiber in the metro as well, but we want to feel out any kinks locally before we add additional failure modes.
At the moment? Don’t do it. If you run mpls on so called „core router/dwdm/wan facing ports“ you have to know that this is totally not supported on extended satellite ports.
It’s not even on the roadmap. I already started to „collect“ some other ISPs to push juniper towards this feature because technically there no
real reason why fusion should NOT be capable of pushing some mpls labels on already tagged 802.1br packets.

Best regards,
Vincentz