Network Atlas End of Year 2018 Update

Mehmet Akcin mehmet at akcin.net
Wed Dec 19 17:56:36 UTC 2018

Thank you everyone for following up offlist with their feedback and
recommendations. I truly appreciate this. I am creating a FAQ section in
www.networkatlas.org now as it seemed like several areas needed to be
clarified.

What is Network Atlas? it's a very good question and I want to open that
little bit more and ask back to community, what should Network Atlas be?
Obviously we are not yet another cable map. When I started Network Atlas, I
had one goal and that was to visualize operational status to make it easy
for non-tech folks to digest information as well as those who do not
acquire backbone directly but suffer when there is an outage to have
visibility to backbone outages. We've evolved from this point with great
recommendations by you guys. One of the most recent recommendation is that
we allow people who want to connect to sales people to be able to do that
using our tool, but how?

let's say you zoomed in a metro where you have an office or planning to get
a colo space, you will be able to see who the onnet carriers are and
connect sales people directly. I want to ask community's suggestion, is
this something Network professionals (engineers mostly, not sales teams)
find useful? Would you actually use this function if it was built?  This is
a very easy function for us to build and we have already included in our
demo but the question is if you guys don't find it useful, then there is no
point.

We are also working on similar things like you select a building/pop
address and you can hit click to get quote for space/power, all transit
providers, and backbone providers at once. Obviously we need to make sure
there is a sustainable way to run network atlas so we are not a bottleneck
or single point of failure but definitely we are group of engineers not
sales people so we do not really know what the best way to build this up.

Our self service portal is working now, what does this mean? Soon, (Q1
2019) you will be able to go to www.networkatlas.org and register a
username, upload your own kmzs. we are working on a feature where you can
have company.networkatlas.org and custom map (public or private) for your
own network where you only see what you care about ;) this was the most
requested feature. We will be able to give you so many choices on
customization here. It will be possible to build a map which you can embed
to your website as well.

Just wanted to ask feedback on these two features we are working on and see
if you guys would find this useful , please feel free to tell me if not,
some of the folks really have given me great feedback and i appreciate
these. I know a lot of people prefer to deal with carriers/colo providers
directly and with lots of mergers and acquisition it might be useful to
have one place where you know globally who to contact for wholesale level
pricing.

mehmet