rfd

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Dec 18 22:10:33 UTC 2018

I will grant you that no customer ever asked for route dampening.  I also realize that RFD is much less important now than in the past.  I come from the ARPANET/DDN ages of the Internet and can tell you that RFD was absolutely critical in the days of very under powered routers and very unstable data links.  I remember when it was quite hard to maintain a 64k link to some locations at all.  There might be less of a need for such a simple RFD but it did serve its purpose.  In fact, my main argument on this whole topic is that RFD is not relevant enough to waste a lot of effort on a global accepted mechanism.  It is just not the low hanging fruit of routing performance improvements.  I see two major improvements to global routing...congestion avoidance (which goes a little bit with bandwidth awareness but not exactly) and multipath load balancing (which kind of requires a congestion avoidance awareness).  Both of these are going to be extremely difficult issues on a global scale of adoption but that's what is needed.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL