rfd

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Dec 18 21:39:52 UTC 2018

It is an interesting article but confirms a few things to me.

1.  There are only a very small percentage of flapping routes causing an inordinate amount of BGP processing.  Would it be more effective to implement this route damping mechanism world wide or try to eliminate the source of the instability?

2.  The paper does not suggest how you would implement this on a global basis and what the "some people have it and some don't" scenario looks like.  The guy in the middle pays the price for your unstable customer.

3.  This affects such a small subset of global routes that we should be spending our time solving more globally impactful changes to BGP (like path bandwidth awareness).

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL