Stupid Question maybe?

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Dec 18 20:36:52 UTC 2018

It is a matter of machine readability vs human readability.  Remember the IP was around when routers did not have a lot of horsepower.  The dotted decimal notation was a compromise between pure binary (which the equipment used) and human readability.  VLSM seems obvious now but in the beginning organizing various length routes into very expensive memory and low horsepower processors meant that it was much easier to break routes down along byte boundaries.  This meant you only had four different lengths of route to deal with.  It was intended to eliminate multiple passes sorting the tables.  I am not quite sure what you mean about interspersing zeros, that would be meaningless.  Remember that it is a mask.  The address bits which are masked as 1s are significant to routing.  The bits that are masked with 0s are the host portion and don't matter to the network routing table.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL