Stupid Question maybe?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Dec 18 19:31:36 UTC 2018

On 12/18/2018 11:44 AM, Scott Weeks wrote:
> It's good to have at least a passing understanding of the old terminology
> simply because documentation for newer stuff likes to reference it...

Agreed.

I seldom see people actually talking about class {A,B,C,D,E} networks as
such.  It's almost always a reference to the size ~> netmask ~> prefix
of a network.

> Plus it's fun (and informative about a netgeek's skill) when they call,
> say, 72.234.7.0/24 a Class C and you can say no it's not.  Then you see
> if they can say why.  If they can't, well...ummm... I really mess with
> them after that.  It helps pass the work day. >;-)

You can safely say that 72.234.7.0/24 is a Class C /sized/ network.
While it happens to be in the (former) Class A IP /range/.  But it is
most decidedly /not/ a Class A /network/.

> ps.  Be sure to send Wikipedia a small Christmas gift.  It's invaluable.

Agreed!

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die