How to choose a transport(terrestrial/subsea)

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Mon Dec 17 22:59:44 UTC 2018

On 12/17/18 3:51 PM, Mehmet Akcin wrote:

> One question, how much people care about vendor diversity? I do and did
> care. I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket. Do you care? Thank you

There are advantages and disadvantages to vendor diversity.

As advantages, you won't be subject to complete loss of connection
because of a single dispute or provisioning/control plane issue with
that one vendor.  You can also more easily pit vendors against each
other for pricing if you are already vendor-diverse.

As a disadvantage, not only does vendor diversity obviously not imply
route diversity, but it will completely put the onus on you to ensure
route diversity if you want it.  With a single vendor, you can demand
that your circuits have route diversity and, assuming you trust them,
they have all the information they need to make that happen for you.
--
Brandon Martin