Pinging a Device Every Second

Tim Pozar pozar at lns.com
Sat Dec 15 17:55:05 UTC 2018

In one of my client's company, we use LibreNMS.  It is normally used to
get SNMP data but we also have it configured to ping our more "high
touch" cients routers.  In that case we can record performance such as
latency and packet loss.  It will generate graphs that we can pass on to
the client.  It also can be set to alert us if a client's router is not
pingable.

LibreNMS can also integrate Smokeping if you want Smokeping-style graphs
showing standard deviation, etc.

Currently I am running LibreNMS on a VM on a Proxmox cluser with a
couple of cores.  It is probing 385 devices every 5 minutes and keeping
up with that.  In polling, SNMP is the real time and CPU hog where ping
is pretty low impact.

Tim