Pinging a Device Every Second

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 17:37:56 UTC 2018

You could configure BFD to send out a SNMP alert when three packets have
been missed on a 50 ms cycle. Or instantly if the interface charges state
to down. This way you would know that they are down within 150 ms.

BFD is the hardware solution. A Linux box that has to ping 1000 addresses
per second will be very taxed and likely unable to do that in a stable way.
You will have seconds where it fails to do them all followed by seconds
where it attempts to do them more than once. The result is that the
statistics gathered is worthless. If you do something like this, it is much
better to have a less ambitious 1 minute cycle.

Take a look at Smokeping. If you want a graph to show the quality of the
line, Smokeping makes some very good graphs for that.

Regards
Baldur