IRR Cleanliness

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Sat Dec 15 09:14:04 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 02:19:10PM +0000, Graham Johnston wrote:
[snip]
> While doing this I was using the nlnog IRR explorer website and
> found that a company that I peer with on a public exchange has my
> ASN listed in an as-macro that they control. The way the as-macro

Being listed in an as-macro doesn't affect your use of the AS
or use of it in any IRR.

Many providers will list customers (for filter generation) without
express consent. Some folks will lump peers in categories through
IRR data. There's certainly nothing amiss in using as-macros even
for non-neighbors in a number of cases, enumerting ASNs one will
[de]preference from a certain set of peers or will drop entirely
for example.

Often such policies exist but aren't published. ;-)

Cheers!

Joe

--
Posted from my personal account - see X-Disclaimer header.
Joe Provo / Gweep / Earthling