How to choose a transit provider?

Matt Erculiani merculiani at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:31:41 UTC 2018

Tier 1s are just as succeptible to outages and peering issues as anyone
else. Not to say they're any less, I work for one after all, but one
shouldn't assume they're always the best for every application. As an
example, Hurricane is decidedly not a Tier 1, but have one of the best
peered networks out there.

Well peered is a huge plus but that's hard to measure. Cogent, peers with
Google in just a few spots so if you want to get to 8.8.8.8 from Dallas
you're going to go via Atlanta even though they could peer right in TX.
That's a bummer if you've hardcoded Google DNS into anything. But how would
you know that unless you do a lot of testing with looking glasses?

The choice also depends on what you're doing with the bandwidth:

If you're a content provider, for example, you may want to buy transit from
AT&T, Comcast, or Charter, not because they're the best, but because they
have better access to the eyeballs. Voice guys may want a "performance
optimized" blendwidth for lower latency. Etc.

-M