IRR Cleanliness

Graham Johnston johnstong at westmancom.com
Fri Dec 14 14:19:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm in the middle of transitioning all of my IRR data from RADb to ARIN and as part of this I am trying to get old stale IRR data cleaned up that other providers have put in place in the past.  While doing this I was using the nlnog IRR explorer website and found that a company that I peer with on a public exchange has my ASN listed in an as-macro that they control. The way the as-macro is named I am reasonably confident that they aren't using it for transit related activity, rather they are likely using it for controlling peering activity and filtering on the IX in question. Part of me is okay with this, but given that I've never seen this behavior from any other provider on the three reasonably large exchanges that we participate on I am curious what the community thinks about this. Is this uncommon but acceptable in the eyes of community?

Thanks,
Graham