Extending network over a dry pair

Dan Hollis goemon at sasami.anime.net
Thu Dec 13 01:00:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018, Nick Bogle wrote:
> A quick question for you guys;
>
> If you had a single dry pair (pair of copper wires originally for phones)
> to a remote site that was around 6 miles away, what would you use? We
> currently are just extending a T1 line to this site, but 1.5Mbps isn't
> cutting it anymore. Unfortunately it's a research site on a federally
> protected wildlife preserve so we can't run any new infrastructure (fiber
> etc) and it isn't in a geographical place where point to point wireless is
> practical. We were thinking there is some sort of network extender that
> uses some form of DSL for higher bandwidth capacity.
>
> Any suggestions?

If this is telco provided dry pair then the distance is probably longer
than 6 miles as the endpoints are probably tied together through a telco
CO.

I have not heard of any equipment which will work over a 6 mile pair any
faster than you're getting with T1.

You might consider setting up wireless repeaters to bridge where there is
no direct LOS. Look at what the hamwan guys have done. http://hamwan.org/

-Dan