Extending network over a dry pair

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 12 22:17:32 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM Nick Bogle <nick at bogle.se> wrote:
> If you had a single dry pair (pair of copper wires originally for phones)
> to a remote site that was around 6 miles away, what would you use?
> We currently are just extending a T1 line to this site, but 1.5Mbps
> isn't cutting it anymore.

Hi Nick,

Where are the repeaters? Even using HDSL or VDSL, 1.5mbps T1s don't
generally extend 30,000 feet without repeaters.

Depending on how far apart the repeaters are and whether you can
substitute other equipment, you may have lots of options or none at
all.

Also, tell us more about the terrain. Just because you don't think
it's suitable for ptp wireless doesn't necessarily mean that wireless
can't usefully play a role in a hybrid solution.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>