Enterprise GPON / Zhone Questions

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 12 21:52:14 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:09 PM Baldur Norddahl
<baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 7:51 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:47 PM Baldur Norddahl
>> <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Compared to the traditional approach, you will only have one centralized
>> > GPON switch to manage. All the small ONT switches are managed through
>> > this. Complaints about the interface is vendor specific. Because there is only
>> > one centralized switch, it would be fairly cheap to switch vendor. Much cheaper
>> > than to rewire with copper in any case.
>>
>> Except you won't have one central GPON switch because LANs change
>> incrementally.
>
> In my experience, a PON network is extremely flexible. Our FTTH network [...]

Exactly, your FTTH network. PON wouldn't exist if it didn't have
valuable use scenarios. Like an FTTH network. I was discussing Nick's
scenario which is NOT an FTTH network. It's an in-building LAN with
fiber runs measuring in tens or hundreds of feet (not miles) behind
walls (not up on accessible utilities poles or down in accessible
conduits) with screwy in-wall ONTs (not the user's responsibility to
power) stuffed in a space that doesn't dissipate heat well.

YOUR use of PON makes reasonably good sense.

> One advantage of a fiber to the desktop solution is that you have
>fiber to every room. You just move a drop cable from the splitter
>and to a pair of backbone fibers.

Did it read to you like Nick's installation had drop cables of
non-trivial length from easily accessed splitters? It didn't read that
way to me.

>> I would demand the creation of comms closets and risers before the
>> building opened and I'd threaten to quit if they weren't. At least
>> then the inevitable modifications can be structured and planned
>> instead of turning in to an ad-hoc mess.
>
> This is out of line IMHO. Hopefully they did add in extra conduits so
> you could do some special cable runs (including some copper and
> coax), if needed.

Nick said they did not create comms closets or a comms riser.

> But if they did not, it would be the responsibility
> of management, not yours. It also has nothing to do with fiber
> nor GPON. Plenty of copper builds have a severe lack of space
> for future proving.

To an internal user, internal IT *is* part of the management complex.
They're the ones who get to choose your password length and VPN rules.
They make choices which are enforced on you, hence management.

> If they did the fiber build in the recommended way, there will
> be ducts prepared for fiber blowing, so one quickly can add more fiber cabling.

If they did the fiber build in anything reasonably close to the
recommended way there would be ducts connected to comms closets
holding the splitters. He's already told us there are no comms
closets.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us