Extending network over a dry pair

Alfie Pates alfie at fdx.services
Wed Dec 12 21:42:29 UTC 2018

Six miles is probably pushing it, but Proscend make some interesting Long-
Range Ethernet SFP transciever which are VDSL based. They're
horrendously documented and they draw *way* more power than the SFP
specification allows.
They also make a version which is design to terminate VDSL broadband
circuits - A couple of those found their way to my desk recently and it
turns out that despite the horrendous documentation and sightly scary
heat output (they come with a little paper note in the box which says
something along the lines of "WARNING! MODULE GETS HOT - DO NOT TOUCH
DURING OPERATION."), they do generally Just Work!
~a