A few GPON questions...

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Dec 12 09:44:07 UTC 2018

I have tested a variety of equipment as part of my FTTH enterprise. Active Ethernet is where I’m still sitting because I’m not quite happy with some of the PON hardware out there personally.

Yes active solutions provide more flexibility in one area but they are only viable in dense environments where the cost to build is already high and the fiber count is cheap comparably.

If you are within the b+ optics link budget there are options, but if you are spliced at your splitters any migration may be tricky.

I’ve been doing 2F drop to the home so I can later to technology migration as the cost variance is about 7c for 1F vs 10c/ft for 2F. It’s a bit more as those drops are the longer portion vs the backbone legs, but I can change from active to GPON or back without trouble.

It sounds like you have a typical vendor management problem where the equipment isn’t meeting your needs. Find a way to migrate to something else. Hopefully you have spare plant and budget to move to something else. If it’s homes, hopefully you can do a migration without coordination and entering the home, if it’s office campus see if you can DWDM or CWDM to get the capacity you need or there are other hardware like the UBNT OLT out there. A lot of the smaller FTTH types are also using the Huwaei hardware. Qualifying a vendor is hard and they change. I’ve spent decades working with my vendors trying to encourage them to do the right thing. The story you tell is a typical one of overworked employees without the power to fix the problems they see.

As others said I would consider a change as your business risk may be too high. This is where network operation becomes business risk mitigation.

- Jared

Sent from my iCar