A few GPON questions...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Dec 11 20:04:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:59 AM Nick Bogle <nick at bogle.se> wrote:
> That is correct. We are running SMF from our Datacenter to the end
> users desk in the building and providing either in wall 4 port ONTs or
> desktop 8-16 port ONTs. Everywhere there would be a traditional 3 port
> CAT6 network jack there is a APC fiber jack and/or an in wall ONT.

Hi Nick,

Yikes! That's upside down even for PON. The P is for Passive. The
whole idea is to not have powered infrastructure in inconvenient
locations because that's expensive and super hard to reliably
maintain.

I think maybe you've found yourself in a "throwing good money after
bad" situation. You have the LAN equivalent of motion sensor lighting
in the restroom. Sounds great until you realize the maximum delay
setting is 15 minutes... how many dark #2s before you have to bite the
bullet and take it out?

This is going to cost you cash and productivity for as long as you
keep trying to make it work. Moreover, the combination of
inflexibility and elevated incidence of outages will consume the
occupants' productivity as well. There will never be a less expensive
time to install a classic (copper) cabling infrastructure than before
the building is occupied. This is where you dip in to the
organization's contingency funds and take the political hit.

And for the love of God, break the contract for the next building.
Even if you have to pay it out and just lose the money, save yourself
the expense of ever having to operate it. If they won't take your word
for it, get an external networking company to do an impact and cost
analysis so you can show the administration what they'll lose by
continuing this folly.

I'll bet your contractor had some questions they didn't want to
answer. If I'd sold you this bill of goods there'd be questions I
wouldn't want to answer too.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us