A few GPON questions...

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Tue Dec 11 18:23:48 UTC 2018

On 12/11/18 1:07 PM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> I am still waiting for one of the 10G PON variants to become available.
> We want to deliver 10G to customers as >1G is becoming common on CPE
> Wi-Fi routers. But doing it with WDM is too expensive and p2p uses more
> fiber than we have.

XGS-PON is available now from some vendors.  I know of at least one
that's also already supporting NG-PON2 WDM-PON using the same cards and
just different optics if you really want to go all the way to 52Gbps per
PON (GPON + XGS-PON + 4xNG-PON2 lambdas).

OLT-side, the pricing I've seen is actually pretty decent at maybe 2-3x
the price per port of GPON despite having ~5x the capacity.  ONT-side
has a bit of an ouch factor at the moment (also 2-3x or more the price
of a GPON ONT...), but if you've got someone who actually wants >1Gbps
service and can charge accordingly, it's definitely out there.
--
Brandon Martin