Security issues based on post RIR allocation rules

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Dec 11 16:58:18 UTC 2018

Spurling, Shannon <shannon at more.net> wrote:

> When I call a health care organization, or a web hosting provider, the
> first thing I get is that they think we are trying to pull one over on
> them and all these ranges must be in Africa or Asia. I show them the
> ARIN information for the specific /16, and sometimes I can make some
> headway. Sometimes there's no convincing them. This issue appears to be
> getting worse over time, so I was wondering if some misguided
> organization or group is going around pressing for the rules that are
> triggering these issues?

I'm somewhat inclined to blame poor `whois` implementations for this.

Apart from `whois` being generally very crappy, there are specific issues
on the server side and the client side which mean the human driving whois
often needs a good deal of expertise to be able to properly track down the
authoritative registration details for a netblock.

On the server side, APNIC and RIPE do not return proper referrals for ERX
netblocks. This is annoying, because they know which of the other RIRs is
responsible for the registration - they have to get the reverse DNS
information from the other RIR. Examples: 150.108.0.0 (an APNIC /8 but the
/16 is allocated to Fordham University and managed through ARIN); and
141.111.0.0 (a RIPE /8 but the /16 is allocated to LANL and managed
through ARIN).

AfriNIC's whois server is more helpful: it seems to proxy queries to RIPE
and APNIC as appopriate, and returns RDAP referrals for ARIN.

On the client side, these days it is mostly possible to find the correct
whois server to ask by following referrals from IANA. (In the past whois
clients had to have a fairly large database of starting points.) A
reasonably intelligent referral-oriented whois client can work around
missing referrals for early netblock allocations by guessing, which
usually means restarting with ARIN. But in practice most whois clients are
pretty stupid, and the referral-oriented ones keep breaking when servers
change. (e.g. I just found out AfriNIC's behaviour has changed since I
last looked...)

Tony.
West Forties, Cromarty, Forth: Southerly or southeasterly 5 or 6, occasionally
7 in Cromarty. Moderate, becoming moderate or rough. Mainly fair. Good.