A few GPON questions...

Nick Bogle nick at bogle.se
Fri Dec 7 03:18:46 UTC 2018

Hello fellow NANOG members :)

Let me start with a little bit of background, my day job is a Network
Engineer for a local university where we have primarily a Cisco environment
from phones to switching to routing, etc. Before my time, we hired a
contractor to design a GPON LAN system for a new building as a cost saving
measure (though I am not sure how successful that was).

Either way, the contractor is about to hand the system off to us, and we
have gone through the training and such, and I feel confident in my ability
to manage the system, but we have a few questions that the manufacturer of
our equipment and our contractor didn't really want to answer. We are
currently using a Dasan Zhone MXK-F1419 with several different downstream
ONT models (all Zhone).

-We would like to consider use of 3rd party GPON B+ Optics on the linecards
to add redundancy to the splitter (as the cost of 1st party are too high).
Does anyone have experience with 3rd party vendors/compatibility/stability
issues? We were told they theoretically should work and just throw a log
event, but it hasn't been tested. If so, what vendors would you recommend?
So far all we've really seen are Ubiquiti and Fiberstore optics.

-As GPON is a standard itself, I'm aware interoperability between OLT and
ONT vendors is heavily limited.. Does anyone have any experience using say,
Zhone ONT's with a different model OLT, or Zhone ONT's with a different
model OLT? I've heard word that Zhone ONT's may be able to work with Nokia
OLT's but it's technically not supported.

-We've already experienced some pretty big stability issues (have replaced
1 line card 5 times..), our contractor is saying it's just because we were
a pretty early adopter of this line and that they've fixed it and fixed
internal policies to add additional QA and testing before shipping to
customers. Does anyone have any experience with working with Zhone and
their overall stability of components?

- Any other thoughts/gotchas/advice for deploying a GPON environment in a
corporate LAN? (or about deploying a Zhone solution) It's pretty service
provider oriented, and is incredible noticeable in the CLI.

Feel free to contact me offlist if you have any pertinent info that you
don't want on the list.

Thanks,

Nick Bogle
nick at bogle.se