Should ISP block child pornography?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sat Dec 8 22:56:34 UTC 2018

On December 8, 2018 at 14:05 merculiani at gmail.com (Matt Erculiani) wrote:
 > As everyone has stated, blocking/filtering is a rabbit hole that we dare not go
 > down or we set ourselves on the same path as oppressive regimes.
 >
 > For a similar situation that's far less depressing, see the numbers of thread

Being ordered to block & filter criminals has been a norm for many
years at least in the US.

What needs to be responded to are the conditions of such orders.

What's not acceptable are vague demands to block all child porn or
"terrorist" content etc.

That's just transferring the entire investigatory and enforcement
problem to the folks who happen run the pipes.

What we are seeing with facebook, twitter, etc is no less than the
privatization of censorship and law enforcement by government fiat.

And governments, even well-intentioned governments, are going to find
that very attractive and addictive.

Why not? Just write down some high-minded objectives like no more
criminals allowed, all in favor say aye?, order passed!

No budget, no plan, just threaten the people who run the
infrastructure with serious penalties if they don't comply.

This is potentially billions of dollars in law enforcement being
transferred to infrastructure operators with no remuneration.

It could easily run all but the absolute largest operators out of
business.

--
        -Barry Shein