Should ISP block child pornography?

cosmo clinton.mielke at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 19:43:02 UTC 2018

I've done a bit of work in this space, wont elaborate ..... but here are
some thoughts :

* many less-engaged or new pedophiles may indeed search such content in the
clear, however ....
* the persistent abusers tend to form communities within TOR hidden
services, making them difficult to find. Most are likely just consumers of
the material, but many are producers (inc kidnappers)
* some underground communities require that prospective members contribute
new abuse imagery/videos in order to prove they are not law enforcement.
Tragically this encourages abusers to abuse a family member
* other communities have plenty of essays espousing the viewpoint that such
behavior is quite natural, which does convince some to excuse their
behavior. This content itself does have the ability to convert
non-offenders to offenders, IMHO.
   - The following article discuss these communities and their underlying
agendas. I'll warn you that you may need therapy after reading it .....
         *
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1760-5-things-i-learned-infiltrating-deep-web-child-molesters.html
* Some of the content is indeed quite traumatic - it's as bad as they say
it is, and many people working in this space have long-term psychological
problems
* While many of these communities hide in TOR, making it difficult to find
the perpetrators, many of the images there actually link to images hosted
in public-facing image-hosting servers. This means that the abusers access
it through 3 hops through the proxy network instead of 6, for hidden
servers.

This means that indeed, the majority of people accessing that content on
your network may be doing so from hotlinks posted to a hidden server
somewhere. You may see them primarily being accessed via known TOR exit
nodes.

My recommendations :
* First, reach out to NCMEC for guidance on filtering/logging
* Second, Ive done a teensy bit of work for these guys at Thorn (Ashton
Kutchers nonprofit). They have an interesting program that attempts to
recognize people searching for abuse imagery, and redirects them to
material urging them to seek psychological help for their problem. :
https://www.wearethorn.org/deterrence-prevent-child-sexual-abuse-imagery/