Should ISP block child pornography?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Dec 7 07:16:29 UTC 2018

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 08:09, Lotia, Pratik M <Pratik.Lotia at charter.com> wrote:

> Hello all, was curious to know the community’s opinion on whether an ISP should block domains hosting CPE (child pornography exploitation) content? Interpol has a ‘worst-of’ list which contains such domains and it wants ISPs to block it.
>
> On one side we want the ISP to not do any kind of censorship or inspection of customer traffic (customers are paying for pipes – not for filtered pipes), on the other side morals/ethics come into play. Keep in mind that if an ISP is blocking it would mean that it is also logging the information (source IP) and law agencies might be wanting access to it.
>
> Wondering if any operator is actively doing it or has ever considered doing it?

Some jurisdictions legally must, some legally cannot.

It's very sensitive subject, with some reductio ad absurdum ghost
hiding behind the corner.

My thought is, if we know this data exists, and we know where it
exists, why are we not following the data to find the people? It seems
we're very good at putting leverage in AML/KYC across jurisdictions of
arbitrary length, how come same tools don't seem to work here?
If ISPs do start to block, voluntarily or involuntarily, are we
removing incentives to fix the problem by hiding some of the symptoms?

In my opinion leave the infrastructure alone, where ever the road may
lead, removing the road won't remove the destination.

Does the content create the culprits? Is there research into this? Are
people with evolutionarily normal sexual appetites turned pedophiles
after exposed to the material?
--
  ++ytti